Together TV launches community filmmaking call “Better Together”
A new initiative giving young filmmakers the opportunity to see their short community-based film airing on TV
London, October 2023 — Together TV, the broadcaster inspiring positive change, announces the launch of "Better Together," a new initiative spotlighting the impact of community and providing a platform for emerging filmmakers across the United Kingdom.
Better Together invites aspiring filmmakers, university students and community groups, to define community through their cinematic lens. This initiative is a call to action, urging creators to contribute meaningfully to their own community through their craft. Participants are encouraged to submit their short films, delving into the theme of "Community" from their perspectives.
The broadcaster launches this new initiative following its successful Together TV’s Diverse Film Fund, supporting emerging filmmakers through funding, training, mentoring and broadcast of their films. In the first two years, those films have won multiple awards including a BAFTA for Best Short Programme in 2022 and a BAFTA nomination in 2023.
Alexander Kann, Chief Executive Together TV said: "Together TV has been inspiring positive change and championing diverse voices and young talent for a long time. We see Better Together as a catalyst for transformative storytelling, illustrating the power and importance of community".
- Eligibility: Open to film enthusiasts enrolled in universities and enthusiastic members of community groups, inclusive and representative of diverse backgrounds.
- Theme: Films should explore the theme of "Community," offering fresh insights into personal narratives, local initiatives, and the enduring bonds within communities.
- Duration: Films should maintain a duration of 2 to 3 minutes, ensuring engaging storytelling, suitable for broadcast on Together TV.
- Technical Standards: All final film submissions must adhere to TV technical specifications, suitable for Together TV's UK broadcast standards.
- Music: Filmmakers may opt to incorporate licensed music, adding an enriching dimension to their narratives, in compliance with proper licensing protocols.
To submit their creations and become part of this nationwide movement, young filmmakers can utilise the submission form available on the Better Together website.
Selected filmmakers will have the privilege of showcasing their unique perspectives on community to a national audience via Together TV. The initiative seeks to spark insightful conversations and cultivate connections that extend beyond the confines of the screen.
- Call for Entries: Open call for screener submissions is currently underway.
- Submission Deadline: Filmmakers are invited to submit their work until Tuesday, 31st October 2023, at 11:59 pm. Filmmakers can submit via the Better Together webapge.
- Film Selection: A team of seasoned TV experts will curate the submissions, selecting outstanding films for broadcast between January and March 2024.
- Broadcasting on Together TV: Starting January 2024, Together TV will feature a new film each week, highlighting the captivating narratives encapsulated within the theme of "Community."
For further information and assets, please contact:
Francesca Aita, Head of Marketing, Together TV
020 3196 1562
Notes to Editors
About Together TV Together TV is the UK broadcaster inspiring positive change. We run a national TV channel, engagement platform and streaming service to motivate people to do good in their lives and communities.
We programme entertainment shows that focus on wellbeing and creativity, whilst championing diverse voices. In doing so, we open our audience’s eyes to the opportunities around them and motivate them to take part.
As a result of watching, our viewers change attitudes, improve their well-being, gain confidence, do more for themselves and connect with their community.
Together TV broadcasts on Freeview 83, Sky 170, Virgin 136, Freesat 164 and on its free streaming service Together TV – Live and On-Demand to deliver change-making campaigns through its engagement platform, website, and social media channels.
Together TV is owned by over two hundred individual shareholders with a wider group of funders and donors alongside the media and digital industry.
The Community Benefit Society and its board include representatives from the broadcasters and charity sector alongside its elected Members.
The Community Channel operating as Together TV is a charitable Community Benefit Society registered with the FCA (RS007400).
The latest Together TV Annual Report is available to download here: Together TV Annual Report 2022/23