Time to get started on the second project of the DIY Challenge, a vegetable trug! A trug is a shallow basket perfect for gathering home grown produce. The perfect gift for anyone with an allotment or just someone who potters in the garden. The one you will make will use recycled wood and screws, it’s super simple and yet a stand out piece!
- Materials list:
- 2 scrap wood pieces 12cm (wide) x 2cm (thick) x 50cm (long) - for the sides
- 2 scrap wood pieces 5cm (wide) x 2cm (thick) x 30cm (long)- for the handle
- 11 wooden slats (like bed slats) 5cm (wide) x 1.5 cm (thick) x 30cm (long)
- 26 Screws
- 1 broom handle/similar pole @ 30cm
- For tools, you'll need:
- Sand paper
- Jigsaw or a circular drill bit
- An electric drill
- A pencil
- It's always handy to have:
- Tape measure
You can always download the list to print, screenshot or write up and stick on your fridge!
Finding the right tools
If you need help finding your materials, ask at your local shed:
Or, ask in our Facebook Group! There are lots of other challengers there who swap tips and someone might be able to help you hunt down some missing materials or tools.
Good luck gathering all your materials!